Taking a stab at being a wedding photographer
My little sister asked me to shoot her wedding and I didn’t have to think twice. Last weekend the big day finally arrived. It was a perfect sunny summer day and the wedding was one of my happiest experiences ever.
I didn’t have much experience on wedding photography prior to this, but I was rather confident in succeeding in the task. My biggest worries in terms of photography, was of course the light. Lately it has been really cloudy and gloomy, but the wedding gods smiled upon us and gave us the mother of all sunlights. The environment was also as good as it gets — a big mansion by the lake, surrounded by a traditional finnish gardens. The colours were really good. The sunlight bounced back and forth between the foliage, creating a beautiful tone. The sky was blue and the decorations consisted of a lot pink tones, which is my sister’s favourite colour. There was a small breeze in the air, which surprisingly got incorporated in some of the images in a creative way.
I borrowed my friend’s excellent Canon 7D Mark II body, which was a beast of a camera. Not perhaps my cup of tea normally, but as a tool for this kind of job, it was rather superior. I shot about 700 frames with it during the entire day.
As a back-up body, I brought my Canon EOS M3. I shot about 100 frames with it, but primarily it was my back-up in case of some emergency. You never know when your equipment malfunctions, gets stolen or something.
I used only two lenses: Canon 50mm f1.8 and 24mm f2.8 — both prime lenses. Perfect combo if you ask me. I don’t like zooms that much, or much higher focal lenghts than the 50mm. I get claustrophobic with narrow angles.
And of course I had my Olympus OM-1 film camera. We shot few versions of their main portrait with it. (Will post them later, as soon as I develop them) With the digital camera we were able to capture a plethora of memories and with film, we can make sure that the memory survives the test of time. The negatives will be around decades after the digital files has been lost or corrupted. The plan of course is to make a nice traditional dark room print as well. My film of choice was Kodak T-max 400 pushed to 800. For the Olympus I used 50mm and 28mm lenses.
I shot the photos using aperture priority program with auto ISO. I wanted to have the control of the aperture for artistic reasons. The lighting was so good that it wasn’t a problem at all to leave the ISO and shutter speed for the camera to decide. In the indoors, during the evening, when the sun started to go down, I had some trouble of managing with the limited light. This time of the year though, there’s plenty of light all evening long.
I recorded both RAW and jpg files. Most shots were really good straight from the camera, but the main portraits and other special shots, I adjusted my self in Lightroom from RAW files. Few finishing touches were made in Photoshop as well. Basically just some colour enhancements.
Here are few sample shots that I like very much.